Friday, March 12, 2010

cake making

So for the past little while, I started dabbling in cake decorating. It started with trying to get creative for my kids birthday cakes andI found I enjoyed it. Next came my other family. Sister, mom, kinda brother-in-law ( he challenged me with ice cream cake which isn't really decorating ) niece and even my own birthday cake.

My mom and Lisa have been my biggest supporters besides my kids( I can do no wrong in their eyes if it has sugar!). So seeing that it is March and both Lis and mom's birthday. I took on the fun and challenge of doing their cake. I want it to not only look good but taste good. Fondant is very fun but doesn't taste good! So after you peel it off, the cake is less pretty.

It was off to a great start when after placing my cake ingredients in a bowl, I remembered I no longer own a electric mixer. No Problem for me. They never had it in the olden days ( one of my favorite sayings, to keep me grounded). So I whisked the ingredients for 2 minutes trying to use my arm muscles that haven't had much of a work out, besides playing wii.

I poured my cake into my prepared cake pans with parchment paper I still haven't returned to my mom but since it is for her cake...no big deal. Then I was trying to decide on the filling. I thought a mocha filling would compliment the swiss chocolate cake. So I looked in my fridge and realised, I had 1/4 c of whipped cream and no chocolate pudding and no instant coffee. Crap! NOW, I not only no longer have the mixer to whip the cream, but I also don't have any ingredients. So I called my mom.

After borrowing all the ingredients for the filling and her mixer, I made the filling and assembled the cake. I am getting better at this part , so all went smooth.

Now for the next attempt, the ganache. I have read all the instructions via internet and from the best cake decorating book I got for my birthday from my sister. The only problem is......I still have no ingredients. So another trip to my mom's, an arm full back and I am ready.

I thought it looked tricky and re-read the instructions soooo many times I pretty much have it memorized. The funny thing is it has very simple instructions my 7 year old could make it but it looks so fancy and it seemed so intimidating. All went really well. And I could whip the leftovers and use it for piping but I have to let it chill overnight.

So I mostly have the cake made for mom and Lis. A cake made from pretty much my mom's food and her "tools". My kitchen is a complete disaster.! I used a lot of unnecessary dishes and have them piled high. We don't have a dishwasher.....

so I called my mom.

2 comments:

  1. hahahahahaha...that's funny. I thought of you the other night when I made dinner...I used pretty much every dish, bowl, appliance (blender, food processor, rice cooker...), cutlery and utensil and our kitchen. Ben loved dish duty that night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not a single aread or dish was untouched in my kitchen

    ReplyDelete