Saturday, March 13, 2010

cake decorating Part 2

If you haven't read part one posted March 12, it probably doesn't matter

After making the ganache the night before and glazing the cake, I had read you could whip the ganache and use it for piping. I thought what a great idea. I would get great taste and looks. Now my one book said refrigerate overnight and whip it the next day. And they were smart because they knew I was tired. But for some reason, I choose not to listen and whipped it last night. I also thought it would set hard because that is what is was doing on the cake.I was having a hard time telling if it was too soft to pipe and questioned if it would hold its shape....so at that point I decided to listen and placed it in the fridge.

So this morning I got up to finish my mom and Lisa's cake. I thought after such a smooth day yesterday, today should be nice and easy and it is the more fun part. Upon opening the fridge and the whipped contents, I discovered I had made the most delicious mousse but not the best with trying to decorate with. Waste not , Want not...I tried to make it work. I tried with 2 different thing to soften and pipe and then I attempted it on the cake. Yep, it definitely wasn't working. So my beautiful delicious ganache cake got down graded with my attempted piping, the grouse tasting fondant came out to help beautify the situation and my son screamed...not that green stuff! And on top of it all, I ate a lot of extra calories because the mousse just tasted sooooooooooooooooo good.

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha...Kaeden..."not that green stuff" that's funny! I look forward to seeing it. I wish I was at your house for breakfast...mousse...mmmm.

    ReplyDelete